*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This delicious stuffing mix is equally delicious used in roast chicken, turkey or rolled pork. It’s gluten free too, so you can cater for the dietary needs of your guests (just check the bacon ingredients).
Recipe: Bacon Sage & Apple Stuffing
- 2 cups cooked rice (approx. 1 cup raw) – you can use brown or white for this
- 2 rashers bacon, finely diced (approx. 125g)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 large apple, finely diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Cook rice according to packet directions and set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a frying pan, add bacon and onion. Cook until the onion has softened.
- And celery and apple to bacon and onion mixture and cook until beginning to soften.
- Stir through herbs and remove pan from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Combine bacon mixture with rice and season generously. Set aside to cool.
- Stuff the mixture into the cavity of your chicken or spread onto pork to roll up.
- Any leftover stuffing mix can be baked in a dish and served alongside your roast meat.
- This stuffing is a very loose, crumbly mix. If you would like it to stick together more, mix a beaten egg through the rice mixture before using as stuffing.