*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
Replace the processed tinned varieties with this quick homemade version made with real ingredients and you’ll never look back! Delicious served up on sourdough toast, in a thermos for lunch, or with an egg cracked into the mixture to make baked eggs. Make a bulk batch – it freezes well too.
Recipe: Baked Beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 rashers middle bacon (or equivalent short cut bacon – approx 100g) – omit for vegetarian option
- ¼ cup tomato paste (60g)
- 400g tin crushed or diced tomatoes
- 3 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or equivalent cooked beans – approx. 700g)
- 1 tbsp rapadura sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses (or honey or maple syrup)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup water or broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bacon and cook until onion softened.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring for another minute.
- Add other ingredients, stir together and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add more water if you prefer a thinner sauce.
This is quite a rich-tasting dish. If you’d prefer it a little milder for the kids, you can leave out or reduce the Worcestershire sauce and smoked paprika.