*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This simple zucchini loaf makes a great breakfast (try it toasted alongside some bacon, eggs, veggies & avo – yum!), snack (great for lunchboxes) or soup accompaniment (perfect for dipping). It can also be baked as individual muffins for perfect portioning.
Savoury Zucchini Loaf
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk of choice with 1 tbsp vinegar added and left to sit for 10 minutes)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (60g) melted butter
- 1 cup (100g) grated cheese (vintage or tasty cheddar, or mix with some parmesan for a stronger flavour)
- 2 small or 1 larger (approx. 160g) zucchini
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced). Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out moisture.
- Add flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, zucchini, chives and cheese to a mixing bowl and stir together.
- In another bowl or jug, combine buttermilk, egg, and melted butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix gently to combine. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until cooked through and golden on top.
- Feel free to make it your own – add in some diced bacon, or chunks of feta, or sun-dried tomatoes for an extra flavour hit.
- This loaf freezes really well. Just slice and store in an airtight container, with layers separated by baking paper.