*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This creamy side dish is delicious with slow cooked tomato-based dishes such as lamb shanks or beef stew. The pumpkin gives it a bit of sweetness as well as a nutrient boost.
Pumpkin & Parmesan Polenta
3 cups broth (or water with some stock paste or bone broth powder added)
1 cup milk
pinch of salt (omit if using salted broth)
¾ cup polenta
1 cup freshly grated parmesan
1 ½ cups diced roasted pumpkin
- Bring broth, milk and salt to boil.
- Slowly add polenta while stirring with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and cook over low temperature, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until polenta is no longer “gritty” when rubbed between fingers (approx 10 or so minutes). Add extra water if polenta becomes too thick.
- Stir through parmesan and roasted pumpkin.
- Optional: stir through chopped baby spinach for an extra veggie boost.
- Polenta will become very thick as it cools. It will soften again when reheated, or you can spread it into a tray, cut into slices when firm and then pan-fry slices in butter to crisp the edges.