*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This is a great way to liven up rice as a side dish – and get a bit of extra veg into the kids!
One Pot Cheesy Zucchini Rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup medium grain brown rice, rinsed (you can also use white rice, but will need to adjust cooking time and liquid amounts – check the packet directions)
1 ½ cups broth (chicken or veg) – just use water if you have no broth
1 medium zucchini, grated, liquid squeezed out (approx. 160g)
1 cup grated tasty cheese (approx. 80g)
salt & pepper
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until softened.
- Add rice and stir to coat in oil and onion mixture.
- Add broth, turn up the heat to bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 35-40 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. (Note: if you are using a different type of rice, you may need to adjust liquid amount and cooking time – check the packet directions).
- Add zucchini and cheese and stir through gently. Cover again with lid and leave to stand 5 minutes.
- Stir again and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Make sure you squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as you can, otherwise the finished dish will become quite watery.