*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
A beautifully delicate side dish, perfect to accompany slow cooked dishes such as tagines, but equally as good next to grilled fish or as the base for a salad. Feel free to adjust the herbs to suit the dish you are serving it with – coriander, mint or basil could easily be substituted.
Lemon & Herb Quinoa
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth (or water if you don’t have broth)
2 tbsp lemon juice
large handful parsley, finely chopped
handful chives, finely chopped
2 sprigs lemon thyme, leaves chopped
salt & pepper
- Rinse quinoa well under running water. This helps remove the bitter flavour.
- Add quinoa to a saucepan with broth, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed by the quinoa (approx. 15 minutes).
- Set quinoa aside, covered, for 5 minutes while you chop herbs and juice lemon.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Add lemon juice and herbs to quinoa and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.