*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This simple dish is full of flavour, but very family friendly. Road-tested with six kids on a sleepover, it was given the thumbs up!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken, Leek & Pumpkin Casserole
- 2 rashers middle bacon, roughly diced
- olive oil
- 1kg skinless chicken thighs, cut into thirds
- 2 large leeks, washed & trimmed, halved lengthways and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 600g diced pumpkin (approx. 2 cm cubes)
- Salt & pepper
- 100ml pure cream
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until beginning to brown. Add the bacon to the slow cooker, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add chicken thigh pieces to the frying pan in batches and cook until beginning to brown (add a dash of olive oil if necessary). Add to slow cooker.
- Add leeks and garlic to pan and cook until beginning to soften. Add to slow cooker.
- Add stock to the frying pan and bring to the boil, stirring to make sure you get any crispy bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the stock into the slow cooker and add the remaining stock, the mustard and pumpkin. Season with salt & pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir through cream just before serving.
- This makes a large amount. Perfect for feeding a crowd or for freezing half for an easy dinner another night.
- You can omit the pan-frying stage and add all the ingredients (except cream) to the slow cooker at the start, but the flavour is better if you brown the ingredients first.
- You can substitute sweet potato for pumpkin. Feel free to add other veggies if you like – fennel would be great in this!
- Don’t have a slow cooker? No problem. You can cook this in the oven on a lower temp (160C) for a couple of hours to get the same effect. You may need to add up to a cup more broth if not using a slow cooker.