*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
If you’re never quite sure what to do with eggplant, then give this a try. It has great umami flavour and is a fantastic alternative to meat as a main dish, or as an accompaniment to an Asian-inspired meal.
- 1 large eggplant (or a few smaller ones)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp rapadura sugar (or honey)
- 1 tbsp water
- sliced spring onions and toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut eggplant into 4 thick slices (or halve for smaller eggplants).
- Score in a criss-cross pattern, place in a baking dish and brush with oil.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes, or until softened.
- Mix remaining ingredients (except spring onions and sesame seeds) in a small bowl.
- Brush over cooked eggplant. Return to the oven, or alternatively, place under the grill for 5-8 minutes or until miso paste is caramelised.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with spring onions and sesame seeds before serving.