*Recipe by Katherine form the Small Steps Team
This hearty salad makes a great side dish for grilled meat like chicken, and is a great one to take along to a barbecue when you’re asked to bring a plate. And of course, it makes a great prep-ahead lunch, too.
- • 3 cups cooked brown rice
- • 1 large carrot, grated
- • 3 spring onions, sliced
- • ½ red capsicum, finely diced
- • 1-2 stalks celery, diced
- • 2 handfuls (50g) baby spinach, chopped
- • 1/3 cup currants
- • 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- • 1 ½ tbsp tamari
- • 1 ½ tbsp macadamia oil
- • 1 ½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
- • 2 tsp honey
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour over dressing and toss to distribute evenly.
- This makes a large quantity of salad, but it holds up really well, even if dressed ahead of time.
- Feel free to change it up to suit your tastes – add other veggies such as sliced snow peas, shredded cabbage, use peanuts instead of cashews, use other dried fruits instead of currants – the choice is yours!