*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
A great replacement for packaged snacks, this slice is packed with goodness.
Crunchy Seed Slice
- • 1 cup (150g) pepitas
- • 1 cup (130g) sunflower kernels
- • 3 cups (50g) puffed rice
- • ¼ cup (30g) hemp seeds (or sesame seeds)
- • ½ cup (30g) shredded coconut
- • ½ cup (160g) rice malt syrup
- • good pinch of salt
- • 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional, but gives a lovely flavour and a bit of added sweetness)
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees C.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, ensuring that everything is coated in syrup.
- Press very firmly into a lined slice tray. (Tip – use damp hands and an extra piece of baking paper over the top to avoid everything sticking to your hands.)
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tray, but slice into pieces while still warm.
- Baking for the full hour will give you a super crunchy slice, so reduce the time if you don’t want it quite so crunchy.
- This slice can be very crumbly when you cut it, so save any crumbly bits and use to sprinkle on yoghurt and fruit as a great snack. (Or just eat the crumbs straight away!)
- This freezes really well. It is slightly less crunchy on defrosting, but still holds together beautifully.
- Try different combinations of seeds or puffed grains to suit your tastes and your pantry.