*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
The kids will love these baked arancini-style rice balls. They’re easy to make, and a great way to use up some leftovers.
- • 2 cups cooked brown rice (white rice is fine too)
- • ½ cup mashed sweet potato (could use pumpkin too)
- • 1 cup (firmly packed) grated cheese – a mix of tasty and parmesan works well
- • 1 egg
- • pinch salt
- • pinch garlic powder
- • 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (made from gluten free bread if needed)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Combine all ingredients except breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Mix together well.
- Roll mixture into small balls and roll in breadcrumbs. (Makes approximately 20.)
- Place on a lined baking tray sprayed/drizzled with olive oil.
- Spray or drizzle a little more oil on top, then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and crispy. The rice balls will get very soft while they are cooking, so don’t turn them or they will fall apart.
- Allow to cool slightly and firm up before removing to a plate to serve.
These can be frozen, however they will not be as crispy as when eaten freshly cooked.