*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
A Chinese takeaway favourite – tasty stir-fried mince and veggies wrapped in crispy lettuce leaves. Try this whole foods version for a family friendly dinner.
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2cm piece ginger, grated
- • 1 tbsp oil – macadamia, light olive or other neutral frying oil
- • 500g mince – pork or chicken
- • 3 spring onions, sliced (save green parts for garnish)
- • 1 carrot, finely diced
- • 6 spears baby corn, diced
- • 225g tin water chestnuts, drained and finely diced (see Note)
- • 6 mushrooms, finely diced (shitake are fantastic, but any kind will do)
- • 1/3 cup tamari
- • 2 tbsp honey
- • 1 tsp sesame oil
- • 1 tsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp water
- • lettuce leaf cups to serve (iceberg works well)
- • sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and onion and stir fry until softened.
- Add mince and brown, breaking up lumps.
- Add diced vegetables and cook, stirring, until slightly softened.
- Mix tamari, honey and sesame oil together and add to pan. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes to allow flavours to mingle.
- Stir through cornflour paste and mix through to thicken the sauce.
- Serve in lettuce cups, garnished with spring onion and sesame seeds.
- Water chestnuts are readily available in supermarkets, in both the canned vegetables and Asian food sections. They add a lovely crunch to the dish. If your family is new to the texture, you may not want to use the whole tin at first.
- This can also be served as a stir-fry over rice or noodles.
- Feel free to add to or change the vegetables to suit your tastes.
- The mince mixture freezes well, so double batch and freeze for a quick dinner later.