Prefer to read? Download the full transcript and PDF version here.
It’s the one place that can get a bit crazy for me – my bathroom. Or should I say – OUR bathroom.
And I use it every.single.day.
So today I wanted to share how I keep the bathroom simple so that you might be inspired to create a spacious, easy-to-use and clutter free bathroom.
Here’s a few handy tips (and I’d love to know which ones you’ll try!):
- Purge! About every three months I go through the cupboard and drawers and remove empty bottles, past use by date items, and generally clear out.
- Wipe your cupboards and drawers! I find that clear surfaces make me feel happier in the bathroom. There’s often that little pile of ‘stuff’ that sits in the corner and never really moves – or the bench that is constantly cluttered – have you looked underneath there? Wipe it down lady, lift everything up and give it a good wipe!
- Simple systems!
a. Have a large container for all the things that you don’t need know, but might soon. If you bulk buy soap or hair care products – keep them in one large container for you to inventory once in a while to see if you need to buy more.
b. Have a medium container for items that you need once in a while – makeup for special occasions, masks/scrubs that you only use once a month or less, perfumes that you don’t want to throw away (but probably should hah!)
c. Have a small container or drawer dedicated to the things you use daily. This stops the searching through a whole big pile of things for that one lip gloss you like!
- His and hers! Or Hers and Hers! Have clearly designated areas for you and your partner and take full responsibility for your area being tidy and organised.
- Don’t run out! I hate my favourite moisturiser getting to the end of the bottle without having back up ready to go, or Nick using the last of the shampoo and then there’s nothing for me (ggrrrrrrr!). So have a list in your bathroom for things that need purchasing soon – or add them to your regular weekly shopping list.
- Sort the remedies! Oils/Medicine/Vitamins – whatever it is you use – please continue checking use by dates! And have these sorted in order of usage too. Anything that I use daily/weekly I keep in a particular section and everything else gets packaged away to be pulled out when required.
I hope some of these help. The key takeaway is not to have things you never use staring at your everyday! Remove that clutter and pack it away. Give your brain a break and literally clear the shelves.
As with all things decluttering it requires consuming very consciously so the piles don’t stack back up! I used to have a makeup obsession and I take great joy now in keeping my routine and products simple and natural.
If you are looking to upgrade your cosmetics – there’s a stack of things I love at the Nourished Life website. I know that not everyone likes wearing makeup but I do get asked a lot what I wear – so here it is!
LaMav BB Cream
Lavera Cover Stick Concealer
100% Pure lip and cheek tints
100% Pure Black Tea Mascara
EcoTan Face Water
Deeeeelicious and a simple routine that takes me about three minutes each morning.
And all super easy to find in my daily compartment. So is it time for you to simplify your bathroom?
Let’s share any hints and tips with each other.