*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
OK, so it might not taste exactly like bacon, if you’re looking for a plant-based protein substitute, this tempeh recipe just might fit the bill. It’s got the salty, smoky, umami-flavoured crispiness of bacon and works perfectly in these BLTs. Tempeh is a fermented soybean product where the beans ar epressed together into a cake. It’s easy to find in supermarkets and health food stores. And if you’re not a fan of soy, it’s possible to buy tempeh made from other beans such as chickpeas, black beans or mung beans.
- • 300g block tempeh
- • 1/3 cup mild flavoured oil (light olive or macadamia)
- • 1/3 cup maple syrup
- • 1/3 cup tamari
- • 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- • ½ tsp salt
- • ½ tsp pepper
- • oil for pan frying
- • For BLTs:
- • bread of choice (sourdough, gluten free, mountain bread wraps)
- • washed lettuce leaves
- • sliced tomato
- • good quality mayonnaise
- Slice tempeh into very thin strips.
- Mix all other ingredients together and add to a wide, shallow baking dish. Add the tempeh slices and gently turn to coat. Leave to marinate for about 2 hours.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and brush with a small amount of oil.
- Fry the tempeh slices on both sides until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Assemble your BLTs with lettuce, sliced tomato, mayonnaise and your tempeh bacon.