*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
Corned beef is a great family friendly dinner and sauerkraut is a perfect fermented accompaniment to it. Either serve it traditional style with potatoes and veggies, or in a Reuben sandwich. This slow cooker corned beef recipe cooks itself while you get on with your day, ready for a delicious dinner loaded with sauerkraut goodness.
- • 1.5-2kg piece corned silverside (see Note)
- • 6-8 whole cloves
- • 2 tsp whole peppercorns
- • 2 tablespoons rapadura sugar
- • 1 brown onion, sliced
- • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- • water
- Add corned beef to slow cooker and cover with water. Add other ingredients.
- Cook on low for approximately 8 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Serve sliced with veggies of choice, or follow instructions to make Reuben sandwiches.
For Reuben Sandwiches:
- Rye sourdough bread
- Good quality mayonnaise
- Cheese – tasty cheddar or Swiss
- Baby spinach (optional extra)
1. Slice and butter 2 slices sourdough bread per sandwich.
2. Assemble sandwich – butter side out – with corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese, mayo and spinach (if using), on a frying pan or in a sandwich press.
3. Toast until the bread is golden on both sides and the cheese is gooey and melty.
Note: If you’d like to try making your own corned beef from scratch without the additives and preservatives that may be in a store-bought one. This recipe uses beetroot juice or red cabbage sauerkraut juice as a colouring agent.