*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This is such a quick and easy vegetarian staple to whip up. It can be used in so many ways in loads of family-friendly dishes. A much better option than flavoured canned beans with additives.
- • olive oil
- • 1 onion, diced
- • 2 cloves garlic. minced (optional)
- • 1 tbsp Mexican Spice Mix – or more if you like it spicy!
- • 2 tbsp tomato paste
- • ½ cup water or broth
- • 2-3 cups (or 2 cans drained and rinsed) cooked beans (pinto, cannellini, kidney, etc)
- • salt
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add onion and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add spice mix and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add beans, water (or broth) and simmer until liquid has mostly evaporated. (You can also add more liquid if you prefer a wetter mix.)
- Serve over corn chips or roasted sweet potato slices, topped with cheese as nachos, or use in a burrito bowl with rice, veggies, salsa and guacamole or as a burrito or quesadilla filling – the uses are endless.
- Feel free to veg it up by adding grated carrot, diced capsicum, corn – whatever takes your fancy, But you may need to add a dash more liquid to account for the greater volume.
- This recipe freezes well to reheat for an even quicker dinner.