*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
The good old classic that Mum used to make. Except this version doesn’t use a packet mix of soup with a long list of additives. Use your homemade French Onion Soup mix instead and relive your childhood with a version your body will thank you for.
- • 825g tin apricot halves (look for one in juice with no added sugar or flavours)
- • 1 cup chicken stock/broth
- • 1 tbsp honey
- • 3 tbsp French Onion Soup Mix
- • 1 brown onion, sliced
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 4-6 chicken thighs, halved
- • 2 tbsp flour (plain, spelt, gluten free..)
- • olive oil
- Drain the apricot halves. Put half the quantity aside for later.
- Blend the remaining apricots with the honey, broth and soup mix.
- Toss the chicken thighs in flour and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, then add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add chicken thighs and brown on each side.
- Pour apricot and stock mixture over the chicken and add the rest of the apricot halves (chopped into wedges if you wish).
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Alternatively, you can cover and cook in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite side dishes – rice, couscous, quinoa or mashed potato, plus steamed greens.
- When apricots are in season, you can substitute fresh apricots for tinned. Use approximately 12 apricots in total.
- You can also make this dish with dried apricots (but make sure they are organic and preservative free – they should be brown, not orange!) Soak 12 dried apricots in 1 ½ cups warm stock and 1 tbsp lemon juice until soft, then add 3 tbsp soup mix and blend. Continue with recipe as above. This will result in a much darker and richer flavoured dish, but it is still delicious!