*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This is a wonderfully flavourful casserole made with pantry staples and family-friendly sausages. Be sure to serve this with some crusty bread to mop up the delicious juices!
- • 8 good quality sausages (or enough sausages to feed your family)
- • 1 large onion (red or brown), finely diced
- • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1 red capsicum, diced small
- • 1 large carrot, diced small
- • 1 eggplant, diced small
- • 1 x 400g tin lentils, drained and rinsed
- • 2 large handfuls baby spinach, chopped
- • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- • 1 tbsp rapadura sugar
- • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- • 1 tbsp flour (plain, spelt, gluten free..)
- • 1 cup broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- Pre-heat oven to 180.
- Heat a heavy-based casserole dish. Add sausages and cook, turning, until browned on the outside. Remove to a plate
- Add onion and garlic to pan (add a dash of olive oil if necessary). Cook until onion starts to soften.
- Add other vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften.
- Add mustard, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and flour to a bowl and mix to a paste. Add broth and stir to mix.
- Add broth mixture and lentils to pot and stir to combine.
- Push the sausages into vegetable and lentil mixture, cover with a lid and place into the oven.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and sausages are cooked through.
- Remove sausages and stir through baby spinach, then return sausages to pot and serve.
- Make sure vegetables are diced fairly small (about 1cm cubes) so they will cook through in time.
- Feel free to substitute other vegetables: sweet potato, zucchini and mushrooms would all work well.
- You could also simmer this on the stove-top for 20-30 minutes instead of cooking in the oven.