*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
This is such a classic combination and makes for a really hearty salad that stands as a meal on its own. Feel free to change the ingredients around to include your favourite greens, cheese and nuts – it will be tasty regardless!
- • 1 bunch baby beetroots (pre-packed cooked beets or tinned baby beets are also fine)
- • a few handfuls of dark leafy greens – baby spinach or rocket work well
- • 1 bunch parsley, leaves chopped roughly
- • ½ red onion, finely sliced (optional)
- • 1 ½ cups cooked French style lentils (or 1 tin lentils, drained and rinsed)
- • 60-80g feta or goat’s cheese, crumbled
- • a handful or so of chopped walnuts, toasted in the oven
- • Dressing:
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- • salt & pepper
- Wrap beetroots in foil and bake for approx 1 hour, or until tender. Allow to cool, then rub skins off (wear rubber gloves!!) and chop into 2cm cubes.
- Add greens to a large salad bowl and top with remaining ingredients.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to mix, Pour over salad and toss gently to coat.
- Serve with crusty sourdough bread on the side.