I wanted something the whole family could eat – from the 8-month-old all the way up to my husband. I wanted something nourishing with a hit of immune boosting qualities because my son and I have been a little rundown. So I looked around at a few recipes for how to make a congee in the thermomix and came up with this. The kids had theirs plain – with some raw veggies on the side to munch on. I added a whole stack of watercress and sauerkraut to ours because I thought it needed an extra little punch.
Don’t skimp on the ginger – it makes it!
- • 500 g chicken mince (pork is more traditional but I only had chicken)
- • 1 tbls tamari
- • 200 g brown rice
- • 1200 g water/chicken stock
- • Big piece of ginger (perhaps 2 inches)
- • 4 cloves of garlic
- Mix tamari through the mince and let it marinate (the earlier the better).
- Add rice to dry bowl and mill on speed 8 for five second. Remove from bowl.
- Add garlic and ginger to bowl and chop speed 7 for three seconds.
- Add rice back into bowl with water/stock and cook for 12 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, speed 1.
- Add mince to bowl in teaspoon fulls. Little time consuming but worth it! Then cook for another 12 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, speed 1. I let mine sit in the thermoserver for half an hour and added salt.