Sometimes it’s when your back is against the wall that the most creative and delicious things happen in the kitchen. Or not? Ha! Lucky for me, this experiment worked and is definitely share-worthy.
I wanted a Moroccan flavour and don’t really know if I achieved that, but it was delicious and a little spicy nonetheless. Below I’ve given thermomix and conventional directions. And choose whichever vegetables you like – use my suggestions as a guide – it’d work with anything!
- • 100 g quinoa – rinsed thoroughly
- • 1 x red onion
- • 2 x garlic cloves
- • 25 g olive oil
- • 1 x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- • 50 g tomato paste
- • 1 tbls tmx vegetable stock paste and 250g water OR 250g veggie stock if no tmx (you may need to adjust this)
- • 1 sp ground cumin seeds
- • 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- • 1/2 tsp chili powder
- • 1 medium sized eggplant (cut into cubes)
- • 1/2 head of cauliflower (cut into florets)
- • 1 red capsicum (sliced thinly)
- • 1 zucchini (sliced thinly)
- • dulse flakes
- Measure the quinoa into the basket and then rinse under the tap in a sieve. Set aside
- Add onion and garlic to bowl and chop on speed 7 for 3 seconds
- Add olive oil and spices and saute for 3 min/100 degrees/ speed 1
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, stock paste and water and then add the basket into the bowl and cook on Varoma temp/20 minutes/speed 2
- While this is cooking add your vegetables into the varoma – using the tray for zucchini and capsicum as they will be ready before the twenty minutes is up. Make sure you move the veggies around halfway through cooking time.
- Once finished put the vegetables into a thermoserver then add quinoa and tomato mixture and combine well.
- Sprinkle some dulse flakes (available from the health food store) over the top and serve.
- So freaking tasty! Enjoy
- Crush your garlic and finely slice onion.
- Add oil to a saucepan and heat on a medium temp. Cook onion, garlic and spices until translucent.
- Add tomato, tomato paste, vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add quinoa and cook as per packet instructions.
- While quinoa is cooking, steam all vegetables in a steamer until cooked.
- Once both are ready, combine and enjoy!
Oh – I should say that many people would salt their eggplant beforehand – I am generally too lazy to do this but I know I should – go ahead and do that if you so wish!!
And for kids, probably leave out the chill powder – it’d be a perfect kids meal without it – or if your little ones can handle it then go for it.