The amazing Katherine from Fresh, Fast & Frugal gave me a great idea a while ago. She bakes chicken in the oven with hummus on top and it goes crusty.
So simple, really delicious.
Katherine’s blog is fantastic. She was a Small Stepper in 2015 and blew everyone away with her awesome whole food family meal ideas. Our kids are similar in ages and both our sons are super fussy!
I empathise with her war stories.
So I asked her to become a Small Steps Bestie – a cheerleader and food inspiration guru inside the Small Steps Membership. And everyone adores her. Especially the FB Lives where she’s all hot and sweaty after a workout showing us how quickly she is putting food together. (Sorry Katherine LOL!)
So I took her idea and got a little creative. The addition of cheese and basil just makes this dish NEXT LEVEL.
It’s the ultimate one pan family meal. It takes minutes to put together then lets you get on with whatever needs to be done while it’s baking quietly in the oven.
Serve it with a fresh green salad and maybe some crunchy sour dough bread to mop up all of the delicious juices.
- • 6 skinless chicken thighs
- • 1/2 cup of hummus
- • 1 cup tasty cheese (grated)
- • A punnet of cherry tomatoes
- • 1 zucchini (sliced into 1/2 cm rounds)
- • 1 red onion (cut into wedges)
- • Fresh basil leaves
- • Extra virgin olive oil
- • Good quality salt
- • Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and lightly oil a large baking dish.
- Place the chicken thighs flat in the baking dish and spoon some hummus over each one using the back of the spoon to spread it evenly.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, zucchini and onion to the dish.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the chicken thighs and garnish each thigh with a basil leaf.
- Lightly drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil, then season the whole dish with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is golden and blistered.
- Serve hot garnished with extra fresh basil leav