*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
There’s nothing quite like a quiche, made with fresh eggs and other beautiful ingredients, sitting on a perfectly crumbly pastry base.
It’s easier than you think to make a basic pastry – and the filling for your quiche is only limited by your imagination.
- • 200g wholemeal spelt flour
- • 100g cold butter, cubed
- • 50g (approx) cold water
- • pinch of salt (or use salted butter)
- • 6 eggs
- • 1/3 cup milk
- Blitz flour and butter in a food processor to a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- While processing, slowly add in cold water until the mixture starts to form clumps.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board or a silicon baking mat and press the dough together into a disc. Wrap and refrigerate to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to the desired size and carefully lift into your quiche dish. (Don’t worry if it breaks – just press it back together). Trim edges and press around the sides of the dish.
- Use a fork to prick holes all over the base, then line with baking paper and fill with “baking beans” (You can buy these weights at kitchen stores, or just use rice or lentils. I have some old soup mix that I just store in a jar and reuse for this purpose time and time again.)
- Bake at 180C for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes before removing and filling.
- Prepare the filling ingredients (try one of the combos below), spread over the pastry base and then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set and lightly golden on top.
Try some of these filling combinations or make up your own:
– leek, silverbeet & feta – sauté 1 sliced leek , ½ bunch sliced silverbeet in olive oil, spread over the pastry case, then crumble over 100g feta before pouring over egg mixture
– bacon & cheese – sauté 1 diced onion with 2 rashers diced bacon, spread over the pastry case, then sprinkle over ½-1 cup grated cheddar cheese before pouring over egg mixture
– roasted vegetable – spread leftover roasted vegetables such as pumpkin, zucchini, capsicum and sun-dried tomato over pastry case, then crumble over 100g feta before pouring over egg mixture
– mushroom & goats cheese – sauté 200g sliced mushrooms, spread over the pastry case, then crumble over 100g goats cheese before pouring over egg mixture
– garden vegetable – use any combination of in-season vegetables, eg broccoli, asparagus, corn, zucchini, even frozen peas, then add in some of your favourite cheese before pouring over egg mixture
– salmon – sauté 1 sliced leek, then add a 210g can red salmon (drained, deboned and flaked) and some chopped dill and chives before pouring over egg mixture