*Recipe by Katherine from the Small Steps Team
- • 4 eggs
- • 600ml milk
- • 4tbsp maple syrup
- • 2 tsp vanilla extract
- • nutmeg to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Beat eggs until combined.
- Add milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Pour into a baking dish (Pyrex is a good option). Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place the custard-filled dish inside a larger baking dish, then place in oven.
- Carefully pour boiling water into the larger baking dish until it comes more than halfway up the sides of the custard dish.
- Bake for approx 40 minutes, or until the custard is almost set. Be careful not to overcook. Take it out of the water bath while still slightly wobbly as it will continue to cook as it cools.
Full fat dairy milk works best in this recipe, but almond milk or coconut milk (tinned or longlife) can be substituted for a dairy-free option.
Cooking time can be reduced slightly by pouring custard mixture into individual ramekins and placing in a larger baking dish with water.
Serves 4-6 – may be adjusted for smaller quantities as long as proportions stay the same.