- • 80 g rapadura sugar
- • 130 g room temperature butter
- • 2 eggs
- • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- • 2 tsp baking powder
- • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- • 250 g white spelt flour
- • 150 g milk of choice I use coconut
- • 250 g of cream cheese
- • 25 g milk
- • 50 g maple syrup
- • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a loaf tin with baking paper (can also use round cake tin).
- Cream butter and sugar with electric beaters until a light golden colour.
- Add eggs one and a time while still mixing until a lovely smooth texture.
- Add all other ingredients and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Pour into tin and cook in oven for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- We are not a big icing family but sometimes the occasion calls for it. Combine in blender until it forms an icing texture. Then spread over cold cake and enjoy!
The step with milling the sugar gives a softer texture, but it’s not totally necessary.
If you wanted to make it dairy free, then you could replace the butter with macadamia oil.
Other icing ideas are:
Sprinkle the top of the cake with extra rapadura sugar before baking – it will cause a beautiful caramel effect on top of the cake.
Grind down 50g rapadura sugar and blend with 50g butter and 1 tbls cacao for chocolate icing
Cover with whipped cream and grate some dark chocolate on the top.