Honestly – it’s a family staple. It comes in handy ALL THE TIME – I always need a batch frozen in portions in the freezer for those days when I know making dinner at 5:30pm just isn’t going to happen. Pop some in a lunchbox when you’re on the go – oh how versatile is the zucchini slice!!
This is my basic recipe – but you can add other grated vegetables, you can top it with thinly sliced tomato, you can add sliced olives, you can add tuna, or feta. Pimp this any way you like.
- • 4 large zucchinis grated
- • 3 pieces of bacon sliced (organic, free-range/best quality you can find)
- • 1 brown onion chopped
- • 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour (or gluten-free flour)
- • 5 eggs
- • 2 tbls savoury yeast flakes (for dairy free) or two handfuls cheese, grated
- • 1/2 cup olive oil
- • 1 tsp dulse flakes (optional)
- • salt and pepper
- Grate your zucchini. If the zucchini is very 'wet' (often large zucchinis contain more moisture) then grab a clean tea towel, pop your grated zucchini inside and give it a good old squeeze over your sink to get rid of excess moisture.
- Add everything to a large bowl and stir until fully combined.
- Pour into a baking tray and cook at 180 degrees for 25 minutes or until browned on top and cooked through.
- Slice into pieces and freeze in portions perfect for lunch boxes!