Here’s the thing. I know that sneaking veggies into our kids meals is the ‘thing to do’. My Easy As Pie mince recipe does a great job at that.
But sometimes, let’s face it. I just want a bolognese that tastes like bolognese – in all its meaty glory!
If you are looking for a rich, flavoursome and super simple bolognese recipe, I bring you this, dear friends.
An Italian neighbour from years ago taught me that all tomato based sauces need a little sweetness. Who am I to argue with an Italian about authenticity. So this is my wholefoods version.
You could use soy sauce instead of tamari and any old sugar – but this is what sits in my pantry.
I hope you enjoy it.
- • 1 tbls olive oil
- • 3 garlic cloves thinly diced
- • 1 onion diced
- • 500 g beef mince
- • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- • 1 1/2 cups tomato passata
- • 2 tbls tamari
- • 2 tsp Italian herbs
- • 1 tbls rapadura sugar
- Warm the oil over medium heat in a pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent – don’t burn the garlic! Then add mince to pan.
- Once cooked through add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes (turn down the heat if you need to). You want a really good reduction.
- Serve on top of your pasta of choice with a little parmesan cheese (buy the block and grate yourself – the pre-grated variety has weird stuff added).