So I’ve pretty much created the simplest baked eggs in the world and my husband agrees it tastes totally cafe worthy – not kidding.
- • 1 tbls olive oil
- • 1/2 onion diced
- • 2 garlic cloves sliced
- • 3 pieces of good-quality bacon diced
- • 1 tin diced tomatoes
- • 1 cup passata tomato puree
- • 1 heaped tsp Italian herbs
- • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar ACV
- • 1 tsp rapadura sugar (brown sugar if you don’t have it)
- • 1/2 tsp Good quality salt
- • 4 eggs
- • Avocado and feta (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Warm olive oil in a pan over moderate heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon and cook gently (don’t burn the garlic!)
- Once cooked add tomatoes and passata. Get it bubbling away and then add salt, sugar, herbs and ACV.
- Let it reduce slightly (maybe four-five minutes on the stove) then transfer to an oven proof dish – I used a square ceramic dish.
- Make little holes for the eggs, drop them in and pop in the oven for around 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Add avocado and feta over the top if you like – you could add anything! Leftover chicken and haloumi would be amazing. Serve it on a bed of baby spinach and a side of crusty sourdough. Options are endless… Change herbs to change the flavour.