See and print the 10 chicken recipes here.
It’s a life-skill. Learn how to roast a chicken and you will always be able to whip up a super simple dinner.
- • 1 roast chicken
- • 1 whole lemon
- • Olive Oil
- • Pinch of salt
- • Vegetables of choice (Potato, Sweet potato, carrot, onion, pumpkin)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Pierce the lemon with a skewer or knife all the way around.
- Place the lemon inside the chicken cavity.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Pour some water into the base of the pan (amount will depend on the size of the pan – but make sure it’s fully covered by around 1cm).
- Place into the oven – As a guide, a 1.5kg whole chicken takes about 30 minutes per 500g of weight to cook in an oven preheated to 180°C.
- Baste about 45 mins into cooking with the water from the pan to keep the skin moist. If the water has evaporated, add a little more to keep the base covered.
- To test if the chicken is cooked pierce deeply with a skewer – if the juices are pink keep cooking until you see clear juices.
- Remove from the oven and let is rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Peel and chop your veggies
- Place in an oven tray and drizzle with olive oil and salt
- Roast at the same time as your chicken, turning part way through.