- • 1 jar (volume approx 1 litre)
- • A meat cleaver or spice grinder or potato masher or your knuckles to pound
- • A clean place to chop or grate the vegetables
- • 1 medium sized cabbage
- • 2 grated carrots
- • 2 green onions
- •1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- • 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- • 2 chilies finely chopped (or a tablespoon of chili flakes)
- • 2 radishes grated
- • 1 tablespoon unrefined salt
- Sterilize the jar (boil a large saucepan of water and add the glass jar and lids for ten minutes - remove carefully!
- Place cabbage in a large clean bowl or container. Add salt. Add the other ingredients.
- Mix salt and ingredients.
- Pound for approximately ten minutes – enough time to smash the water from the cabbage and other ingredients.
- Stuff the mixture in the jar. Press down and compress the mixture so the extracted water covers the mixture.
- Add enough mixture to leave approx 2 cm between the water and the top of the jar. Seal the jar.
- Leave at ambient temperatures for about 4 days then move the fridge. In another 4 days you can have a taste! It will be good to start eating. The kim chi will keep fermenting for a while and as long as it is kept refrigerated it will last months.